Types of learning disabilities Jobs in social care
Learning disability is a broad term and learning disability jobs can support any type of condition that impacts how a person interacts with the world. This could apply to pretty much anything – from communicating, being able to understand information, and being able to live independently.
There is also a vast range of levels of learning disability, and every person is individual and needs their own support plan. No one size fits all!
Some people with learning difficulties need outreach support to give them a hand from time to time. Other people need permanent help to maintain a good standard of living. Others require regular contact with their social care workers.
What Learning Disability Jobs Are There?
Examples of learning disability jobs in the disabilities sector include:
- Help with employment – finding work, work experience placements, helping with applications and interviews.
- Housing – completing forms, moving home, living independently and making provisions to help make their living circumstances suitable.
- Personal support – some learning disabilities patients need day-to-day help with things like personal care, travel and socialising.
- Respite and short breaks – for families living with learning disabilities, respite care provides them with a little help to be able to take a breather from all the work involved in caring properly for a child or family member with learning difficulties.
- Residential care – you might work in a short-term or long-term facility, or support somebody in their home.
- Leisure services – people with learning difficulties may need extra help with social activities. You might be organising friendly events, helping with transport and access to leisure centres and swimming pools, or supporting somebody in attending clubs, groups and educational settings.
OUTT Social Care Story
OUTT was conceived from the Coronavirus pandemic, to provide the UK a rapid route back to work, with our super fast registration technology. Registering with OUTT provides experienced social care candidates the opportunity to build an employer review base and take full control of where and when they work. It's your life, live it!